How to give back?
Why should an organization contribute data to OpenStreetMap?
- Adding data to OSM is quicker and easier than building your own system: you benefit from updates to the software, the ecosystem and collaborative maintenance and improvement of the data
- Allows an organisation to focus on its core data, rather than also maintaining geospatial data
- OSM is a shared platform to contribute and collaborate with others
- Broader social good of contributing to a global map
What other ways can we contribute?
- Becoming a member or supporter helps contribute to the sustainability of the project. A number of companies, for example, are supporters.
- Contributing imagery or other data such as GPS traces or your GIS data can help improve the map for all and provide a means for the community to use that information to collect new data. It is important to release that data under an open license as well
- There’s also a range of supporting open source infrastructure which would benefit from contribution and support from wider community
- There is also a need for advocacy about OpenStreetMap, training, community engagement and more. You can contribute to OpenStreetMap without actually editing the map.
- Participate in the governance and work of OpenStreetMap Foundation through working groups